Friday, July 23, 2010

Finished Reading My Book... Finally

I've been working slowly on reading a book that someone gave me. I am quite a slow reader because of being busy and also I just always fall asleep when I read. It comes from my childhood when we were allowed to stay up a half hour later if we were reading. So now reading is eternally associated with sleeping. Anyways that is the story of while it has taken over a year to finish one book! So sad really.

Anyways, I've been reading "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" by Tom Robbins. This was my first Tom Robbins and I can't wait to read more. He's very clever and has a great way of writing. The book was terribly interesting and kept me coming back.


Here are a few of my favorite quotes that I dog-eared

"At the very moment when we become, for the first time, both introspective and socially conscientious, we receive the bad news that the world, by and large, doesn't give a rat's ass"

"Pale sunlight warmed the 'starship,' the 'second-story window,' the 'throne of enlightenment' from whose eminence he kept watch on the world"

"...the sea was the shade of blue that black could have been if it hadn't stepped over the line"

"Looking at it from another angle, their kiss was like a paper airplane landing on the moon"

" 'It's likely to get ugly from now on, sister love. I don't want to alarm anybody, but I smell smoke in the cabin, and the exits are not clearly marked' "

"With an air of aloof benevolence, such as one might find in a kindergarten teacher whose interest in children was strictly professional...."



It's always pretty bittersweet when you finish a book. Especially one that took this long to read. The book was like a bystander to my life for the last year or so. Carrying the memories of flights, trips to the beach, romances, heartbreaks, boredom, distraction, stress, and excitement; all within its pages. But its nice to know somewhat how things ended for these fictional friends who you've been spying on and also to put away that year of your life and open up a new one.

So goodbye "Fierce Invalids" and hello to one of the many other books I have stacked for reading.

Have a good weekend all!

1 comments:

Annah said...

LOL I just finished reading the third installment of the True Blood series and it had taken me like a whole MONTH to finish!

Post a Comment