Friday, July 23, 2010

DIY Etched Glass



First edition in the DIY posts! I found this idea on Design*Sponge and was thrilled that I was able to do it in my apartment. Though I'm pretty sure it would also be useful on a bathroom window if you wanted to blur them out. In my apartment I have this great door that separates one section from the other and I think this etched glass look fits well.



All you need:
-transparent contact paper (you can find this at most hardware stores)
-white paint pen (good deals on overstock.com)
-ruler
-scissors or x-acto knife

First you need to measure your panel pieces. I found the easiest way was to use a piece of paper and cut it as a template, making sure it fit perfectly and then using it on the contact paper to cut out each panel. Then you just need to decide on some designs and draw them on there with the paint pen. The hardest part is putting the contact paper on the window. The best way to get the least amount of bubbles is to peel off just the very top of the paper and center it as best you can on the window. Then as you peel the rest of the paper off you carefully press the contact paper against the window as it goes. Take your time, it is worth it.

So that's it, simple, just takes a little time! Let me know if you have any questions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment